How can we improve TrackVia? What features should come next?

the ability to trace dependent formulas.

When deleting/replacing a field, I receive the following error: "The field 'X' is being used as part of a formula in a calculated field. If you'd like to remove this field, please remove it from the formula."

Unfortunately, I have no exact way of knowing where that formula is... Please create a way to trace dependent formulas.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MichaelMichael shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although this is wonderful information and quite helpful, I would still love to see the specific origin of an error within the error message.
        Reason being, my situation did involve calculated references from another table. I was forced to search through each related table (including App Scripts) to find my error.
        Again, the "/crd" method should prove to be helpful, however, it still requires a search vs specific information within an error message...which I hope is a plausible addition.
        That being said, thank you for the information!

• Justin MauldinJustin Mauldin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out with this issue you are running into in the system.

There are actually two ways that you can currently trace the dependency on fields in formulas in the system.

The first is in the table edit screen, as you can utilize the search bar in the "Included Fields" column to search for the name of a field on the table. The search results will then show you a list of that actual field and any other calculated or triggered fields that field is referenced in their formula.

That is the best way to find the formulas a field is used in on the same table that it is created on.

Secondly, if you ever reference a field from one table, in a formula on a separate table, you can navigate to your "Table Relationships" tab, click "Switch to ERD View" in the top-right corner, and in your URL in your web browser change the ending of the URL from "/erd" to "/crd".

This CRD view will then give you a full mapping of all your fields that are connected to each other via a formula in every app and table in your account. This will then help show you where a field is used in a formula so you can then edit the formula and delete the field.

Thanks again,

Justin

Feedback and Knowledge Base