How can we improve TrackVia? What features should come next?

Link between two tables

When there are two tables created it would be helpful if you can link the tables so that when a new record is added it automatically gets added to another table, this then prevents having to enter records numerous times in other tables.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Emma shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminTrackVia (Admin, TrackVia) responded  · 

Zapier integration and application scripts can be used to create records in a table based off record creation in another table.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Matt and Emma,

This is a great suggestion, thank you for the feedback! We have received several requests from customer who are building project management apps to have this functionality. This would be a great feature for TrackVia.

Regards,

Alex

• Matthew Clancy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this feature would be really useful for a number of common use cases. Some kind of generalised "record template" system makes a lot of sense to me; e.g. we need to keep track of both network devices and the ports on those devices. Currently we need to manually add the ports for each device. It would make sense if, when we added a device of a certain model (i.e. using a certain template), the corresponding records for the number and type of ports on that device were added according to the template.

The most common use case for this feature is project management, where adding a certain project type could automatically add records for the default tasks of that project, once again, according to some generalised template.

A spreadsheet style bulk edit/add might be useful for this and another idea I added (creating multiple child records for multiple selected parent records) in order to avoid issues with required cells and allow some customisation of the template values before committing the data.

There is a fair bit of work behind a facility like this, but I believe it adds an enormous functionality gain that would really attract new users to TrackVia and empower existing users.

Let me know if something like this is achievable or on the horizon, as it is extremely useful to several of our use cases.

Feedback and Knowledge Base