Got something that doesn't fit in the other forums?

Document Field vs. Document Table??

Hi,

I'm reaching out for ideas around attaching documents.

What is the consensus, rule-of-thumb, best practice, or just good 'ole advice?

I'm divided between adding a document attachment field to each table (form) which means there would be many locations for documents, or having a single table to act as a Document Repository which would be a child to its respective parent(s).

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John McGarveyJohn McGarvey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We used a document library, and it was very helpful. It was helpful because we only had to make revisions in one place.

• Jake MarwilJake Marwil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi John,

Both methods have their benefits. Creating a table just for documents and attaching them to their associated parent is useful in that you will only need to reference one location for all documents. This is especially useful when one parent record has many documents attached to it.

The second method is good for situations where there may only be a couple documents per record as it will allow direct access to the records by opening up a single record rather than having to navigate to a separate table.

Ultimately it will depend on how many documents you have and how you wish to structure your application. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jake

Feedback and Knowledge Base