How to access and use TrackVia's API or Application Scripts?

Can Apps Scripts Populate Link-To-Parent Fields?

I am trying to populate a Link-To-Parent fields via Apps Script and nothing happens.

If copied the format from Drop-down fields, Application User, and Application User Group fields (thinking they would all behave the same), but although the Scripts saves with no errors, and the records can be updated with no errors, the LTP field is not being populated.

If this is possible, can you provide a sample of the code that I can use?

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John McGarvey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is possible to have an app script link a record to a parent. I did it on the child table. You just have to know the parent record ID.

So if Parent Table 1 creates a record in Child Table 1 have an app script on Child Table 1 to create the link to Parent Table 2. (if that makes sense and is even what you are looking for)

Below is the code I used.

Map record = loadRecord(Parent Table Name, Parent Table Record ID Name, Parent Table Record ID Value) as Map

currentValues[Relationship Name] = record;

you just have to be able to create the parent record ID value using information from the child table the app script is on. You have to be creative since app scripts cannot pull in information from calculated fields.

• Skip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an amazing feature!
        Any solution to automate/calculate links would be very helpful.

• John McGarvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Alex,
        Some clarification.

I am trying to populate a LTP field (not single line) via App Script at the same time the script is creating a child record. The child record is being created fine. The LTP is to a second parent table than the one that ran the script to create the child (this would already be auto-joined).

I tried following the format of other "drop-down" type fields (drop-downs, User fields, and User Groups) thinking the format would be the same, but I am not able to get the LTP field in the child record to populate.

There isn't any IF condition to evaluate as the will identify the actual value to enter into the field for each child record being created.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi John,

Application User and User Group fields are links to other tables in the system so they do behave differently than your standard single line field. This may be why the fields are not working as desired when trying to use them to link to a parent record.

The script code to reference those fields is below:

GROUPS:
        Map group = loadRecord("XVIA_USER_GROUP", "group_name", "group name goes here") as Map

USERS:
        Map user = loadRecord("XVIA_USER", "email", "user's email address goes here") as Map

Additionally, the script template below can be used to auto link to parent when the parent record ID is comprised of more than one field:

Map parent = loadRecord('parent table name', [parent field to match: currentValues['child field to match'], parent match 2: currentValues['child match 2']])
        if (parent) {
        currentValues['Link to parent'] = parent
        }

Hope this helps!

Alex

Feedback and Knowledge Base