Use a field as hover text for another field
Currently in grid view, hovering over a column header creates a popup that contains the name of the column for that view. It adds nothing and sometimes gets in the way.
It would be great if instead we could specify during view editing that a field can have a different field as its popup text.
e.g. Currently, in all tables that I use as lookups in place of drop down fields, I create a paragraph field that can hold the definition of the drop-down item. Only users with access to the underlying tables can see those. It would be great if regular users could hover wherever the value shows up in a grid view (or form!) to get more details. This could save a lot of space wherever its implemented.
Stephen Singer commented
Hi. Any update on this?
Several of the recent updates have been great, but I'm still very eager to see anything that increases the information density on the screen. Most of my users don't have wide monitors & use the windows default 150% zoom on their laptops, which makes forms *so* much harder to use. Ideas like:
* this kind of record-specific tool-tip,
* reduced margin padding, and/or controls placed on the same row on child views, ( https://help.trackvia.com/forums/218120-i-would-like-to-see/suggestions/40755607-wide-screen )
* wrapping form field labels ( https://help.trackvia.com/forums/218120-i-would-like-to-see/suggestions/44281725-wrapping-field-labels-on-forms )
* using something like show/hide rules to control the collapse or expansion of form sections (see my comment on https://help.trackvia.com/forums/218120-i-would-like-to-see/suggestions/15617202-show-hide-feature-on-forms )
* wrapping column headers ( https://help.trackvia.com/forums/218120-i-would-like-to-see/suggestions/18814909-column-headers-please-allow-wrap-text )
* automatically narrowing lane view columns based on screen width
* allowing form components to span multiple rows without forcing the rest of the row to clear, more like dashboard layout
* having child views on forms vertically resize manually &/or based on the length of the content so empty /short tables take up less room, etc...
Stephen Singer commented
Thanks Kimberly. Adding a tool-tip option to a field would be a little bit helpful, giving context for the entire field, but I was hoping for a tool-tip that could have unique content for _each_ record. I think that kind of tool-tip text would have to be stored in a separate field. The main advantages would be:
1. higher information density AND less clutter at the same time. It would allow additional information to be included in a view without needing to show (or scroll over to) an additional column.
2. the content of the tool-tip could be generated dynamically by a calculation, triggered field, or app script, rather than just being hard-coded into the table
Thank you for another visual effect! We have discussed adding "tool tips" to fields, which would display in a similar manner, giving added descriptions as you hover over a field name. Would that cover your use case? Or do you see value in having a distinct field for something of this nature?