How can we improve TrackVia? What features should come next?

Create many-to-many relationships without using a 'join table'

We would like to maintain a table of staff members, as well as a table of activities that are associated with a project. We would like to associated one or more staff members with an activity. Right now, the only way to do this is by creating a 'join table' which makes data entry for our PMs very confusing and time consuming. Why can't we just have the ability to associate a record with multiple records from another table?

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lucas Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found a potential work around using FLOWS. This may not apply to every situation where a many-to-many relationship is needed but it can be used to some extent.

Step 1: Use an add or view task on parent table.

Step 2: Use an add task to create a child. Set a variable to populate the link to parent field.

Step 3: Perform a View using Parent Record ID as variable lookup on the Parent Table.

Step 4: Perform an Edit Task on Parent Table after the view task. This will automatically open the Form related to the Parent Record. Set Variable to populate Link to Parent Table (original child record)

Thank you,

Lucas Ward

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John, a little confused, isn't your suggestion pretty similar to having a view of the join table on a parent records form? Just keep adding records to the view?

• John McGarvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add me to the list needing this feature.
    We already have 1 field linked to the parent (once the relationship is setup).

This feature could work similarly to how some websites allow you to attach a document, then once the first field is populated, a link/button is displayed to "add another" document.
    This continues until you've attached all documents.

The same logic could apply to linking to a parent record. Once the first link is made, another field/link is present to allow linking to another parent record. This will continue until you've made all your connections and then save the record.

• Mesqueeb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the biggest dumpers from TrackVia:
    It's not a worthy DB without a many-to-many relationship, and being able to click on [+] to add a record that's automatically linked to two different parents.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the comment Alex. I did see the post about the 'wizard' who would create the relationships, but I was hoping for a less 'magical' way of doing things.

I'm really just hoping for a field that can be treated as a checklist type field, but instead of picking from a set of values, it picks from a set of records. Simple.

I would like to keep wizards in fantasy fiction and movies where they belong.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the feedback! We understand that creating relationships and linking tables can be a challenge. We realize that creating a many to many relationship is not always the most intuitive process and is an enhancement that our product team is working to improve. We will be happy to share your feedback with our team.

Additionally, there is a post regarding this topic that may help assist in developing you app: http://help.trackvia.com/forums/218120-i-would-like-to-see/suggestions/5939549-wizard-for-creating-many-to-many-relationships

If you are still in need of assistance in creating these relationships, please feel free to give our support team a call at (800) 673-3302 at your convenience. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Alex

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alex asked: "In the case where we'd create a child record before the parent record, would it be a beneficial feature to have a button that would allow you to quickly create the parent record on the fly so that the child record isn't unlinked?"
    My answer: Absolutely and I enthusiastically endorse this idea.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jay,

The ability to create a child record that is linked to it's parent when created can be done several ways. The child view can be added to the parent record's custom form to quickly add several child records at a time. The other option is to include the link to parent field on a custom form for the child record which would provide a drop down of available parents to link it to.

In the case where we'd create a child record before the parent record, would it be a beneficial feature to have a button that would allow you to quickly create the parent record on the fly so that the child record isn't unlinked?

Regards,

Alex

• Jay Ziskrout commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Creating a many-to-many table relationship is fairly easy using an intermediate/linking table. The problem is in forms/end-user data entry. It is impossible to create a child record that is linked to a parent record at the time of its creation. As a result orphan records are created without a good way to identify to which other records they should be linked.

• Derrick Kotlus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Eric,

This is a great suggestion! We realize that creating a many to many relationship is not always the most intuitive process, and it would be very helpful to have a wizard to assist you. I will gladly bring this suggestion to our product team.

If you are still in need of assistance in creating these relationships, please feel free to give our support team a call at (800) 673-3302 at your convenience. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Derrick

• Eric Sites commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The wizard should also create a form that correctly allows adding and removing direct reports from a drop down list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base