This article covers how to generate a favicon.ico file or find an existing one your organization uses.
What is a favicon.ico file?
It's a small image file that is used in various spots in a web browser, namely in the browser tab and bookmark icon:
My website has one of these, how do I get ahold of it?
If you see your company's icon in the spots noted above, the simplest way to get to it is:
- Load your website in a browser
- Right-click on the page somewhere and select "View Source" or "View Page Source".
- Search the page for ".ico". (Mac = Cmd+F, Windows = Ctrl+F). You should find something like this:
- Right-click on that link and select "Save link as..." or "Save target". Save the file to your computer.
You can also try to automatically find your website's favicon using http://www.google.com/s2/favicons?domain=trackvia.com
- Replace trackvia.com with your own domain.
- If a small image shows up, right-click the image and save it to your computer.
I need to create one, how do I do that?
Here are some online resources to help you create and understand favicon files:
Are there browser limitations with this?
Yes, Internet Explorer. As with most new web technology, IE 9 and below offer only limited support. We encourage all TrackVia users to use a modern browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Article is closed for comments.