How to Import a New Table
You can create a new table in an existing application by uploading a spreadsheet. Refer to How to Prepare a Spreadsheet for Importing, to ensure you are set up for success!
From the App Overview page, simply click the Add a New Table button in the upper right-hand corner of the Tables overview section and select Create from Import.
A window will appear with 5 tabs: Import, Confirm, Map, Configure and Results. You can either upload from an Excel/CSV file, or Copy/Paste the data.
First, confirm your header row (tell us which row in your file has your field titles) by viewing or selecting the value found next to the header row number. Then, how rows should interact with errors.
Next, tell us how we should handle errors.
- Reject the whole row - Choose this if you want to correct the errors and re-import the whole row.
- Set the problem field to blank, but import the rest of the row - Choose this if a blank field value is okay or if you want to correct the error directly in TrackVia.
Click the Next button to Map your data. The system does its best to determine the correct data type when the file is uploaded, but you can edit field names and data types here.
You may also choose to link imported data to an existing table.
- When selecting a different data type for a given field, if a column contains data that is not valid for the type chosen, a message will display stating how many records are not valid.
Click the Next button to Configure the Table:
- Enter a name for the table.
- Type what you would like to call an item in the table. We recommend entering both the Singular and Plural form of the word, but we will do our best to determine the latter.
Clicking the "Import" button will complete the import process by creating a new table with the imported data.
Note: If the import is taking an extraordinary amount of time to complete, a message will display stating you will receive an email when the import process is complete. At this point, you can safely close the window and work on other tasks while the import finishes.
The Results tab is a detailed report that contains how many records were imported and how many records contained errors. In this tab, along with an email that is delivered with the same information, you can download a detailed report of the errors associated with the import. See How to Import to an Existing Table if you want to conduct another import.